Mold in the workplace is no laughing matter! After all, we spend a considerable amount of time at our jobs. If employees are being exposed to mold in the workplace, it can have a negative effect on their finances, health, and overall stress level. No one should have to put their health at risk at the benefit of their employer. It is smart to be vigilant if you believe there might be mold in the workplace, whether you are an employee or the employer.
Do you think there might be a risk of mold exposure in the workplace? Mold thrives in warm, damp spaces without proper air flow. If the business recently experienced water damage, does not have proper ventilation, has a high level of humidity or the building is in general disrepair, mold could be growing. There are some signs that you can look for to see if there is a clear mold issue. Keep in mind that only a professional mold remediation company can make an accurate assessment.
Do you notice a leak in the roof or a busted pipe? Is it very humid in the workplace, or have you noticed discoloration anywhere on the walls? Is there a musty smell, or have you noticed condensation forming in the building? These are all signs that the conditions are right for mold to be growing.
Are you only experiencing symptoms while you're at work? Sick Building Syndrome is a phenomenon in which people experience health issues while inside of a building, but are relieved after leaving. Some common signs of mold exposure in a work place include respiratory irritation or allergy symptoms such as nasal and eye irritation, and asthma symptoms such as wheezing and shortness of breath. Repeated exposure to mold can also result in brain fog which has the ability to affect the employees performance at work.
It's important to take charge of your health if you think you are being exposed to mold in the workplace. See a doctor if you're experiencing discomfort that can't be traced back to another irritant in your daily life, especially if it gets noticeably worse when you're on the clock. The only way to get an accurate diagnosis of the problem is to bring in a mold remediation company. This should be done at the very first sign of mold in the building. Otherwise, the problem will continue to get worse as time progresses, as well as the health symptoms.
The good news is that mold in the workplace is very preventable. When you prevent moisture intrusion, you also prevent mold. Make sure the building is in good condition with no leaks coming from the roof, walls, or pipes with regular inspections. Be sure that the humidity of the building is in check, as high humidity means more moisture is in the air. Remember, if there are signs of moisture, it's vital to correct the problem as soon as possible.
Humidity is described as the amount of water vapor or water molecules that are currently present in the air. So, what causes humidity in the air to begin with? It can all be traced back to the water cycle and wind patterns on the planet. When it rains and water reaches the ground, it evaporates back into the atmosphere when it reaches a certain temperature. When you hear meteorologists talking about humidity, they are referring to "relative humidity". What does that mean? This term simply compares the current amount of moisture in the air to the total amount of moisture that the air can hold.
Warm air can hold more water than cold air, which is why you experience those unbearably hot and humid days during the summer months. So, it's safe to say that you can usually expect higher levels of humidity in warm climates, especially if they are by a large body of water or experience a lot of rainfall. Humidity is often pushed up from wind currents originating from humid places around the world. This is exactly what causes changes in weather.
Humidity outside is one thing to deal with, and humidity indoors is another. The level of humidity in your home can impact the concentration of indoor air pollutants, which relates to the overall air quality. Having excess moisture in your house creates the perfect conditions for mold and mildew to form. Mold in the home can cause a variety of health disturbances, and it can affect the structural integrity of your home if it goes unchecked. Headaches, dizziness, respiratory issues, and asthma symptoms are some of the health dangers that mold in the household can bring. Mold caused by high humidity levels can wreak havoc on your health, emotional state, and bank account if you have to resort to remediation! This is why it is important to control the level of humidity in your home, especially in unfavorable weather conditions.
Mold toxicity, mold sickness, black mold poisoning. These are just some of the names used to describe the ailments related to mold exposure. Mold exposure can cause minor ailments including headaches, coughing, runny nose, and body aches, but depending on the length of exposure and the severity of the mold, can cause serious conditions such as cancer, disease, and even death.
There are many stories related to the sicknesses caused by mold exposure, but luckily, there have been many cures both natural and medical, that have healed those who have suffered. The video below features Dr. Josh Axe, who we have featured before, explaining the symptoms of mold exposure and natural remedies that have helped those dealing with possibly misdiagnosed as something else.
A very important step that Dr. Axe didn’t mention is to be sure to leave the place that is causing your sickness. If you are exposed to mold in your home, move out as soon as possible. If it is from your workplace, consider working from home or exploring other options. Be sure to see our blog on who to call for a mold inspection for more information on the proper steps to take.
The next video features Julia, who had extreme mold exposure symptoms and was even wheelchair ridden. She saw approximately 25 doctors and spent around “$80,000 or more” on treatments that just did not work. In this video, she talks about her horrible experiences with being misdiagnosed and overmedicated by doctors who did not know the cause of her pain. Watch the video to find out of Julia finds her happy ending during treatments with Sponaugle Wellness Institute, or is still dealing with the symptoms of mold exposure.
For more information on how to rid your surroundings of dangerous toxins and harmful mold, give us a call at (844) CALL-AQA.
Toxic Mold Syndrome, also known as mold illness, is an illness that effects many people. When people get sick, they typically assume the causes are allergies, a cold, or a bad reaction to medications. When you notice a dramatic decline in your health, you have to wonder, what is the cause? Very commonly, people blame their poor health on outdoor environments when in reality, they should be considering their indoor environments as the main culprit. Most people spend an average of 90% of their time indoors including time at work, school and at home. This fact alone should initiate further research into your indoor environments.
You may experience symptoms that are similar to colds and common allergies when dealing with Toxic Mold Syndrome including:
· Sore throat
· Runny nose
· Itchy eyes
· And more…
There are more serious health problems related to toxic mold syndrome. In many cases, the above symptoms are just the beginning. Not only does toxic mold syndrome affect your respiratory health, but also your nervous system, circulatory system, skin, vision and mental health. As you can see, mold and any of the symptoms related to mold are all something that should not be taken lightly. It can lead to very serious health issues and even death.
In order to avoid long term health problems related to mold exposure, one would ask what is the real cause of mold growth? The simplest reason mold forms is because of moisture. There are many different forms of moisture that cause mold formation including leaks, condensation, humidity, and flooding. When moisture comes in contact with any and all kinds of organic materials (wood, carpet, clothing, etc.…) mold begins to form. There are many great mold prevention tips listed in our “How to Avoid Indoor Allergens" blog post that are easy and affordable to implement. Doing yearly inspections and taking care of your home overall will help lessen the chance of experiencing health issues related to mold.
There have been many case studies conducted to prove the effects of mold exposure symptoms. In this presented case study individuals that were tested ranged from 1.5 years to 52 years of age. The conclusion was conditional, however those who were involved experienced similar symptoms and reactions. Along with case studies, there are many personal stories, testimonials, and articles that present personal experiences people have had with toxic mold syndrome and mold related sicknesses. There is one story that stands out among all the rest about a woman who is now doing well, but at one point did not know what happened to her or where to turn. Kimberlyn is someone who one day, completely lost her motivation and began to become very confused as to why her personality and normal demeanor completely changed. With multiple doctor visits over 6 months, she started to find out what may be the cause of her sudden life altering ailment. If you are worried that you may be dealing with mold, her story is very relatable and could save you many unnecessary steps.
Ideally, we would like to say that mold will never be an issue in our lives, but that is not the case. Mold is everywhere. It really all depends on how quickly you handle a situation and how serious it is. Our best advice: be mindful of your surroundings and educate yourself on the signs and the steps to take to resolve your mold problem.
Recommended Links: Black Mold
US National Library of Medicine National Institute of Health
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention