Mold in the workplace is no laughing matter! After all, we spend a considerable amount of time at our jobs. If employees are being exposed to mold in the workplace, it can have a negative effect on their finances, health, and overall stress level. No one should have to put their health at risk at the benefit of their employer. It is smart to be vigilant if you believe there might be mold in the workplace, whether you are an employee or the employer.
Do you think there might be a risk of mold exposure in the workplace? Mold thrives in warm, damp spaces without proper air flow. If the business recently experienced water damage, does not have proper ventilation, has a high level of humidity or the building is in general disrepair, mold could be growing. There are some signs that you can look for to see if there is a clear mold issue. Keep in mind that only a professional mold remediation company can make an accurate assessment.
Do you notice a leak in the roof or a busted pipe? Is it very humid in the workplace, or have you noticed discoloration anywhere on the walls? Is there a musty smell, or have you noticed condensation forming in the building? These are all signs that the conditions are right for mold to be growing.
Are you only experiencing symptoms while you're at work? Sick Building Syndrome is a phenomenon in which people experience health issues while inside of a building, but are relieved after leaving. Some common signs of mold exposure in a work place include respiratory irritation or allergy symptoms such as nasal and eye irritation, and asthma symptoms such as wheezing and shortness of breath. Repeated exposure to mold can also result in brain fog which has the ability to affect the employees performance at work.
It's important to take charge of your health if you think you are being exposed to mold in the workplace. See a doctor if you're experiencing discomfort that can't be traced back to another irritant in your daily life, especially if it gets noticeably worse when you're on the clock. The only way to get an accurate diagnosis of the problem is to bring in a mold remediation company. This should be done at the very first sign of mold in the building. Otherwise, the problem will continue to get worse as time progresses, as well as the health symptoms.
The good news is that mold in the workplace is very preventable. When you prevent moisture intrusion, you also prevent mold. Make sure the building is in good condition with no leaks coming from the roof, walls, or pipes with regular inspections. Be sure that the humidity of the building is in check, as high humidity means more moisture is in the air. Remember, if there are signs of moisture, it's vital to correct the problem as soon as possible.
Not all rooms in your home are created equal! This is definitely true when it comes to areas of the home that are highly impacted by excess moisture, leaks, and mold. So, how do you know which rooms to keep an eye on and what extra precautions to take to make sure your home is free from excess moisture? We've provided you with some helpful tips to ensure that every square inch of your home is as dry and clean as possible for you to live your healthiest life.
September is Mold Awareness Month! This month of awareness aims to educate and raise awareness about the different effects that mold can have on your health and home. Exposure to mold and the subsequent mycotoxins produced can wreak havoc on your families health. The more knowledge that you have, the less chance you have of suffering from mold in your home.
It's true that some types of mold are a lot more dangerous than others. This is why you don't need a hazmat suit to take care of moldy leftovers in your fridge! Some of the most common types of mold found within a household include aspergillus, stachybotrys atra (or black mold), and cladosporium. Aspergillus is most often found on food and within systems of the house like air ducts and HVAC systems. Cladosporium is usually green or dark brown with a pepper like appearance commonly found in bathroom areas. Black mold is the most harmful type of mold to have in your home. This type of mold often occurs after a household has experienced heavy flooding or water damage that was not taken care of in a timely manner.
Don't be alarmed! Be aware of the conditions that mold likes to grow in, and keep an eye out for any changes in the appearance and smell of your home, as well as the health of your family. If you find mold in your home, the best thing you can do is hire a professional mold remediation company as soon as possible. Attempting to clean the mold yourself could make matters worse by spreading the spores and exposing yourself to harmful mycotoxins. A professional company can take care of any mold issues you run into in the best way possible. The longer mold isn't taken care of, the more potential it has to wreak havoc on your house and health.